Saturday, February 16, 2013

Clothed with Jesus Christ

By the end of the lesson, we will:
1.Gain an impression of principles of living in Jesus:
2. REALIZE how, because we follow Jesus, our life principles and behavior are different from the rest of society; and 3. EVALUATE our treatment of others as demanded by a life lived by the Spirit.

Focal Verses: Colossian 3:1-17

Keep in Mind Verse: Colossian 3:14
"And above all these things put on charity, which is bond of perfectness."

In Focus:
In our lesson today, Paul exhorts the church at Colossae to take off the old life and put on the new one in Jesus. Once our garments have been washed in the blood of the lamb, the old life no longer is appealing nor does it fit our new life in Jesus.
 
Discuss the Meaning:
  1. How do we constantly "seek things above when we have to live and participate in  daily activities here on earth?
  2. How do we get rid of old habits and lifestyles and put on new ones?
  3. Why are forgiveness and love two key elements in a life that pleases God?
  4. How can an attitude of thanksgiving help us in our relationship with God and with people?
  5. What does being washed in the blood of Jesus mean, and how does it apply to this Scripture passage (In Focus)?

Lesson in Our Society:
For many people, lying is common. Far too many people believe that if the truth is going to hurt, make you uncomfortable, ruin your reputation, get you in trouble, or cause you to pay money, then lying is OK. We justify lying or find creative ways to do it by calling it something else. In popular culture - TV, movies, politics, etc. - how does it manifest itself and how do we participate? In the midst of this kind of society, the Christian is exhorted to tell the truth. Lying in any form is considered part of our old life and needs to be discarded.

Make it Happen:
Pray and ask God to change you in His own timing and in His own way to see positive changes in your life!


From Acorns to Oaks Trees!

Tell The Truth
Jasmine had a bad habit. She liked to tell "half truths," "kinda truths," and "no-where-near-the-truths" when it benefited her, Jasmine didn't think lying was a bid deal. That was, until the Mr. Watson and Mike situation.
Jasmine had been helping Mr. Watson at his hardware store for almost a year. He was such a kind man and he worked very hard. When the stored wasn't busy, Mr Watson would tutor Jasmine in math. Besides Jasmine, Mr. Watson's grandson, Mike, also helped at the store.
"Can you work on Friday, Mike?" Jasmine heard Mr. Watson ask on the day of the incident. "We're having a sale and I expect to be busy."
"No problem, Gramps, " Mike responded. "Friday is good for me this week." Jasmine was barely listening while they continued talking, but her ears perked up later that afternoon when she heard Mike on his cell phone. "Aw, man, on Friday? I just told grandpa I would work this Friday," Mike said. "I've got to figure out a way to go, though. Basketball tickets like those don't come around every day!" Jasmine assumed Mike would just tell his grandfather about the game, which is why she was surprised when she heard him say, "Gramps, I'm not going to be able to work on Friday after all. I know you need me, but I just remembered I have to work on school project, and I am supposed to meet with my group Friday evening."
"Okay, Son, we'll manage," was all Mr. Watson said, but Jasmine could hear the disappointment in his voice. Jasmine confronted Mike when Mr. Watson took a break. "Why'd you do that to your grandfather? He needs you! How can you be such a liar?

Question for the youth?
Why was Jasmine so upset? Based on Jasmine's response, what does she understand about lying? How can lies hurt others? Can a person break a bad habit such as lying? Should children of God lie? Why or Why not?

(Excerpt from The Apostolic Light)


4 comments:

  1. This lesson really caused me to look closely at myself. Often I ask the question, if everyone in the church is as saved as we claim to be, why are there so many hurt people in the church? So this lesson caused me to ask myself this question, "Why did the Holy Spirit move on Paul to send me this letter?"

    Ok, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I am no longer guilty of the things that Paul wrote in verses 5 and 6 of our lesson. Don't get me wrong, I use to do them all, and he reminded me of it in verse 7.
    So help me to shout because I am not what I use to be.

    But when you think about it, those things don't really hurt anyone but myself. So even if I were doing those things it should not be the cause of all the hurt and pain that I see in the church. I guess I am back to square block one.

    Knowing that I would have this question, Paul continued to write. Putting it in my words, Paul told me that now that I am saved and I no longer do the things in verses 5 and 6 I have to now look at my relationship with my new family members. And so the journey starts. Now he is telling me in verses 8 and 9 that I have to stop doing a lot of extra things. I have to put off ANGER, WRATH, MALICE, BLASPHEMY, FILTHY COMMUNICATION OUT OF MY MOUTH. I can't even LIE TO YOU anymore. If I can't do any of these things how in the world will I ever deal with you SAVED PEOPLE? ..........I have to go Pray Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace and Peace. I have completed my self evaluation and I believe have the answer to my question. You remember the last question that I asked don't you? Well after hours of study and prayer I have concluded that it's not you, it's me. Paul's letter to me spelled out some of the attributes of being a child of God.

    I learned that I have the power of God on the inside of me.
    I learned that I can use that power to control ANGER, WRATH, and MALICE.
    I learned that I control what comes out of my mouth.
    I learned that I never have to lie.
    I learned that I can do all things through Christ which give me strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Bro Royal now that we have all verbalized these thing, the test comes in putting them to action. How far are we willing to step outside of our comfort zones of conformity. Sis peacock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question Sis. Peacock. I believe it starts in our quiet moments. Before you are anyone else see the change, there has to be a self examination. We have to live Psalms 139:23-24. "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. "
    IF I don't see a need for change you will never see the change. So it happens in our quiet moments. My prayer has to be Lord, is there any anger in me? Often our prayer is Lord I am so glad that there is no anger in me.
    So the change is on the onside and it is manifested on the outside.

    ReplyDelete